Buttermilk Rhubarb Muffins Recipe
A cousin in Maine gave me this recipe. I take these slightly tart treats to meetings where lunch is being served and always come home with an empty plate. It's a good way to use up plentiful rhubarb.
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups diced fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the six ingredients. In another bowl, whisk the egg, buttermilk, oil and vanilla. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in rhubarb.
- 2. Fill paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 350° for 22-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Serve warm. Yield: 16 muffins.
1 serving (1 each) equals 198 calories, 7 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 14 mg cholesterol, 204 mg sodium, 30 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC