A cousin in Maine gave me this recipe. I take these slightly tart treats to meetings where lunch is being served and always come home with an empty plate. It's a good way to use up plentiful rhubarb.
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups diced fresh or frozen rhubarb
- In a large bowl, combine the six ingredients. In another bowl, whisk the egg, buttermilk, oil and vanilla. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in rhubarb.
- Fill paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 350° for 22-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Serve warm. Yield: 16 muffins.
Originally published as Rhubarb Muffins in Best of Country Breads 2000, p14
Reviews for Buttermilk Rhubarb Muffins
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Oct. 13, 2013
"Easy yummy great recipe"
Reviewed Nov. 14, 2010
"These muffins were delicious. I was short on rhubarb, so I substituted one cup of peeled, diced apple for 1 cup of rhubarb, and added 1 teaspoon of cinnamon. Very moist."