- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups diced fresh or frozen rhubarb
- In a large bowl, combine the six ingredients. In another bowl, whisk the egg, buttermilk, oil and vanilla. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in rhubarb.
- Fill paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 350° for 22-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Serve warm. Yield: 16 muffins.
Originally published as Rhubarb Muffins in Best of Country Breads 2000, p14
Reviews for Buttermilk Rhubarb Muffins
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Oct. 13, 2013
"Easy yummy great recipe"
Reviewed Nov. 14, 2010
"These muffins were delicious. I was short on rhubarb, so I substituted one cup of peeled, diced apple for 1 cup of rhubarb, and added 1 teaspoon of cinnamon. Very moist."