Buttermilk Pumpkin Waffles Recipe
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 large eggs
- 1-1/4 cups buttermilk
- 1/2 cup fresh or canned pumpkin
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Butter and maple syrup, optional
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the first nine ingredients. In a small bowl, whisk the eggs, buttermilk, pumpkin and butter. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- 2. Bake in a preheated waffle iron according to manufacturer’s directions until golden brown. Serve with butter and syrup if desired.
- 3. Freeze option: Cool waffles on wire racks. Freeze between layers of waxed paper in a resealable plastic freezer bag. To use, reheat waffles in a toaster on medium setting. Or, microwave each waffle on high for 30-60 seconds or until heated through. Yield: 6 servings.
2 waffles (calculated without butter and syrup) equals 194 calories, 6 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 83 mg cholesterol, 325 mg sodium, 28 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 7 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat.