Years ago, I received this candy recipe from a dear friend in Texas. The creamy texture and sumptuous sweetness has earned me rave reviews each time I've made it.
24 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 20 min. + cooling
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1-1/2 cups Diamond of California Pecan Halves
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, buttermilk and baking
- soda. Cook and stir over medium heat until a candy thermometer reads
- Stir in butter and pecans; cook until thermometer reads 230°.
- Remove from the heat; add vanilla. Beat with a wooden spoon until
- mixture loses its gloss and begins to set, about 8 minutes. Quickly
- drop by teaspoonfuls onto foil-lined baking sheets. Cool. Yield:
- 1-1/2 pounds.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 ounce) equals 120 calories, 5 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 2 mg cholesterol, 68 mg sodium, 18 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 1 g protein.