Buttermilk Pound Cake Recipe
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2-1/2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 3 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Confectioners' sugar, optional
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine flour and baking soda; add alternately with buttermilk and beat well. Stir in vanilla.
- Pour into a greased and floured 10-in. fluted tube pan. Bake at 325° for 70 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool in pan for 15 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely. Dust with confectioners' sugar if desired. Yield: 16-20 servings.
Reviews for Buttermilk Pound Cake(17)
Sort By :
My family and I loved this pound cake recipe. The buttermilk made it just perfect, lighter and moister than a classic pound cake but still keeping the heaviness of a traditional pound cake. One of the reviews states that it is more like bread than a pound cake. We'll that is what I love about pound cake it's not like other cakes that need icing. Remember a pound cake is not going to have the same moistness as another cake otherwise the recipe would be yellow cake. It's a pound cake meant to be heavy and bready but still that sweetness that makes it a cake.
Excellent pound cake--I usually make sour cream pound cake, but the buttermilk makes this just a bit lighter and less dense. Perfect texture. I added an extra 1/4 cup of sugar, as I like my pound cakes sweeter--next time I might even go up to 3 cups total. This is partly because I served with only a dusting of powdered sugar and lightly sweetened whipped cream; if you're going to sugar glaze the cake the lower amount of sugar is probably fine. Oh, and I also used cake flour instead of all purpose flour; always a good idea for a finer texture of cake. The final addition I made was a generous pinch of salt, but that's b/c I was using a brand of buttermilk that was not very salty. My usual brands (Friendship, Tuscan Dairy, Organic Valley) have a bit of natural saltiness already. Anyway, delicious and easy. Still prefer sour cream pound cake for truly rich and decadent experience, but this is a very nice and very reliable recipe good for a slightly lighter cake.
This recipe is awesome. Very moist and tasty. Looking forward to making again.
this is the first time I have ever rated a recipe. I made this and it was super easy, moist and my family loved it, it was a beautiful cake....Hubby took a piece to work and now I have a request to make one for his co-worker. thanks for sharing.
I was so excited about this and even followed the recipe to a "T", which I never do. It was terrible. More like bread than a pound cake and not even close to sweet enough.