Buttermilk Potato Doughnut Holes
Having worked in a school cafeteria for more than 10 years, I've seen my share of recipes. Everyone loves the comforting flavor of these old-fashioned doughnuts.
38 ServingsPrep: 20 min. + chilling Cook: 45 min.
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 1-1/2 cups hot mashed potatoes (prepared without added milk and butter)
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5-1/2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- Additional sugar
- In a large bowl, beat the sugar, eggs and shortening. Add the
- potatoes, buttermilk and vanilla. Combine the dry ingredients; add
- to potato mixture. Cover and refrigerate 1 hour.
- In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Drop
- rounded teaspoonfuls of batter, a few at a time, into hot oil. Fry
- for 1-1/2 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Drain on paper
- towels; roll in additional sugar while warm. Yield: About 9-1/2