Buttermilk Pot Roast
“This is a melt in your mouth roast with very flavorful gravy is only $1.70 per serving. I've been making it for years. It's always great for company.”
—Anne Powers, Munford, Alabama
8 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 2-1/4 hours
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (about 3-1/2 pounds)
- 4-1/2 teaspoons onion soup mix
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 8 medium potatoes, peeled and halved
- 8 medium carrots, halved
- 8 small onions, cut into wedges
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Spread mustard over roast; place in a Dutch oven. Sprinkle with soup
- mix and pepper. Arrange vegetables around roast; pour buttermilk
- over the top.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 2-1/4 to 2-3/4 hours or until meat and
- vegetables are tender. Transfer meat and vegetables to a platter and
- keep warm. Let meat stand for 5 minutes before slicing.
- Skim fat from drippings; bring to a boil. Cook until liquid is
- reduced to 1 cup; serve with beef and vegetables. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving equals 533 calories, 20 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 130 mg cholesterol, 407 mg sodium, 45 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 44 g protein.