- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (about 3-1/2 pounds)
- 4-1/2 teaspoons onion soup mix
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 8 medium potatoes, peeled and halved
- 8 medium carrots, halved
- 8 small onions, cut into wedges
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Spread mustard over roast; place in a Dutch oven. Sprinkle with soup mix and pepper. Arrange vegetables around roast; pour buttermilk over the top.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 2-1/4 to 2-3/4 hours or until meat and vegetables are tender. Transfer meat and vegetables to a platter and keep warm. Let meat stand for 5 minutes before slicing.
- Skim fat from drippings; bring to a boil. Cook until liquid is reduced to 1 cup; serve with beef and vegetables. Yield: 8 servings.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Buttermilk Pot Roast
"This was the first time I've cooked gravy using buttermilk. It did not disappoint. It was delicious."
"THE most moist roast I've ever made. Everyone loved it!"
"I made this in the oven bag with a 2 3/4 lb. chuck roast. Unfortunately, I forgot to adjust the time correctly and baking for 2 hours was too long and the meat was a little dry. But the veggies were nice and soft with nice flavor. Will definitely make this again. Would also like to try it in the crockpot."
"I cooked the roast and vegetables in a oven bag that was held in a 13 x 9 pan. This was the best roast I have ever made!! This recipe is a keeper!! I put a whole packet of Lipton Onion Soup Mix in and only 1 medium onion chopped."
"Wonderful, melt in your mouth delicious."