Buttermilk Pie Recipe
This pie is often made by the Amish and Mennonite cooks in our area. OUr baker, May Hath, gave us this recipe. We've served it for years.Maxine Zook, Middlebury, Indiana
- 3 cups sugar
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups buttermilk, divided
- 5 Eggland's Best Eggs
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 unbaked pastry shells (9 inches each)
- 1 cup chopped pecans, optional
- In a bowl, combine the sugar, flour and 3/4 cup buttermilk. Add eggs and remaining buttermilk; mix well. Stir in the butter and vanilla. Divide evenly among pie shells. Top with pecans if desired.
- Bake at 425° for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°; bake 25-30 minutes longer or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool completely. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Originally published as Buttermilk Pie in Taste of Home April/May 1996, p51
Reviews for Buttermilk Pie(4)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Dec. 1, 2013
this pie is awesome!!!
Reviewed Nov. 21, 2011
I make this pie for catering jobs...everyone loves it! and it is so simple to make
Reviewed Nov. 19, 2011
totally delicious...a keeper for sure :)
Reviewed Nov. 28, 2010
Very easy to make! My family loved it!