This pie is often made by the Amish and Mennonite cooks in our area. OUr baker, May Hath, gave us this recipe. We've served it for years.—Maxine Zook, Middlebury, Indiana
- 3 cups sugar
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups buttermilk, divided
- 5 eggs
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 unbaked pastry shells (9 inches each)
- 1 cup chopped pecans, optional
- In a bowl, combine the sugar, flour and 3/4 cup buttermilk. Add eggs and remaining buttermilk; mix well. Stir in the butter and vanilla. Divide evenly among pie shells. Top with pecans if desired.
- Bake at 425° for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°; bake 25-30 minutes longer or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool completely. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Originally published as Buttermilk Pie in Taste of Home April/May 1996, p51
Reviews for Buttermilk Pie
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review