Buttermilk Onion Bread
This oniony bread is perfect for hearty sandwiches or serve it warm with a hot dinner. “This bread smells wonderful while baking,” says Joan Powers of East Wenatchee, Washington.
16 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Bake: 3 hours
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons warm buttermilk (70° to 80°)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2-1/2 cups bread flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon dried minced onion
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon dill weed
- 2-1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- In bread machine pan, place all ingredients in order suggested by
- manufacturer. Select basic bread setting. Choose crust color and
- loaf size if available. Bake according to bread machine directions
- (check dough after 5 minutes of mixing; add 1 to 2 tablespoons of
- water or flour if needed). Yield: 1 loaf (16 slices).
Nutritional Facts: 1 slice equals 99 calories, 1 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 3 mg cholesterol, 245 mg sodium, 20 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchange: 1 starch.