Buttermilk Oatmeal Muffins
THESE delicious muffins were a significant part of the first dinner I had with my wife when we were courting. She's an excellent cook, and that first meal was truly a gourmet's delight.
Now whenever she plans a menu and asks for my suggestions, I make sure these muffins are on it.
-Robert Luebke, Appleton, Wisconsin
8 ServingsPrep: 10 min. + soaking Bake: 20 min.
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- In a bowl, soak oats in buttermilk for 15 minutes. Stir in egg, sugar
- and oil. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; stir
- into oat mixture just until moistened. Fill greased or paper-lined
- muffin cups three-fourths full. Bake at 400° for 16-18 minutes
- or until muffins test done. Cool in pan 5 minutes before removing to
- a wire rack. Yield: about 8 muffins.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 229 calories, 9 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 28 mg cholesterol, 322 mg sodium, 33 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein.