Buttermilk Nut Bread
Brown sugar and buttermilk give pleasing flavor to this no-fuss quick bread from Sue Ross of Casa Grande, Arizona. Nuts provide the tasty crunch.
16 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Bake: 45 min. + cooling
- 1 egg
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons shortening, melted
- 2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts
- In a bowl, beat the egg. Gradually beat in brown sugar and
- shortening. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add
- to egg mixture alternately with buttermilk. Beat just until
- moistened. Stir in nuts. Pour into a greased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf
- pan. Bake at 350° for 45-55 minutes or until a toothpick
- inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes;
- remove from pan to a wire rack. Yield: 1 loaf.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 157 calories, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 14 mg cholesterol, 158 mg sodium, 27 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.