Buttermilk Noodle Bake Recipe
I enjoyed Mom's old-fashioned casserole as a child and made it often for my own family. Now that our children are grown, I make this for senior citizen lunches.—Alice Fraser, Meridale, New York
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2-1/2 teaspoons salt
- Dash pepper
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, undrained
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 8 ounces medium egg noodles, cooked and drained
- 1. In a skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. In a large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually add buttermilk. Stir in mushrooms, ketchup and Worcestershire sauce. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add noodles and beef mixture; mix well. Transfer to a greased 2-1/2-qt. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 45 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 6 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 469 calories, 20 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 115 mg cholesterol, 1,485 mg sodium, 42 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 30 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC