Buttermilk Meat Loaf
Barbecue sauce is a Southwestern staple, so I use it in meat loaf instead of ketchup. The buttermilk and garlic also lend a tangy flavor. Whenever I serve this, it gets rave reviews, even from those who don’t ordinarily care for meat loaf.
6 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 1 hour + standing
- 1 cup soft bread crumbs
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
- 6 tablespoons barbecue sauce, divided
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- In a large bowl, combine the bread crumbs, eggs, onion, 4 tablespoons
- barbecue sauce, buttermilk, parsley, garlic salt and pepper. Crumble
- beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into a loaf. Place in a
- greased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 50 minutes. Spread with remaining
- barbecue sauce. Bake 10 minutes longer or until meat is no longer
- pink and a meat thermometer reads 160°. Drain; let stand for 10
- minutes before slicing. Yield: 6 servings.
Wine: Light-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.