Buttermilk Mashed Potatoes
My sister-in-law, who is a dietitian, shared this recipe with me. Buttermilk and garlic flavor these smooth mashed potatoes that are better for you than typical versions that include lots of butter.
—Stephanie Bremson of Kansas City, Missouri
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 2 pounds potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- In a large saucepan, combine the potatoes, water, broth and garlic.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 12-15 minutes or
- until potatoes are tender.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, heat buttermilk until warm. Drain
- potatoes and garlic; mash with buttermilk. Stir in the onions, salt
- and pepper. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: One serving (2/3 cup) equals 133 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 1 mg cholesterol, 575 mg sodium, 30 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch.