- 6 eggs
- 3-1/4 cups (13 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 2-1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 package (7 ounces) elbow macaroni, cooked and drained
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs. Stir in the cheese, buttermilk, butter and salt. Add macaroni; toss to coat.
- Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until a knife inserted near the middle comes out clean. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Reviews for Buttermilk Mac 'n' Cheese
Sort By :
I gave this recipe 2 stars only because it had decent flavor. Other than that I would say this is definitely more of egg dish than anything. It was not creamy and when I took it out of the oven and stirred it I immediately was disappointed and started to look for a last minute ditch to make for my family. I will not be making this egg and noodle cheese dish again.
This tasted pretty good, but both my husband and myself were violently ill after eating it. I don't know if it was bad eggs, cheese, milk, or the combination of ingredients that didn't agree with us. I don't intend to find out by making it again...lol
I will try this again; however, because I added some flour as was suggested by a reviewer, it was very dense - not creamy at all. Next time I will not use flour, and possibly will use fewer eggs as another suggested? I love buttermilk, so I want this to be my go-to recipe for mac 'n cheese!
I love this recipe, but I made some major modifications to it. I'd never used more than 1 egg in any mac and cheese recipe before and the macaroni/egg ratio seemed low so I doubled the macaroni. Also, I love caramelized onions in mac and cheese along with panko bread crumbs so I added both. I also cut out a quarter the amount of butter and voila! Best ever!
I agree that this is a custard-like recipe. However, it has great flavor if you use a nice sharp cheddar cheese.
More Recipe Collections
- Baked Pasta >
- Casserole Side Dish Recipes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Comfort Food Side Dishes >
- Comfort Food Vegetarian Recipes >
- Country Woman Recipes >
- Country Woman Side Dishes >
- Country Woman Vegetarian Recipes >
- Macaroni and Cheese >
- Macaroni and Cheese Recipes >
- Macaroni Recipes >
- Pasta Recipes >
- Pasta Side Dish Recipes >