Our family tradition is to have a variety of cream pies for Easter dinner dessert. This old-fashioned recipe is always a hit.
- Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Line a 9-in. pie plate with pastry. Trim, seal and flute edges; set aside. In a large bowl, combine the sugar, flour and salt.
- In a large bowl, beat the buttermilk, eggs, butter, lemon juice, lemon peel and vanilla. Add to sugar mixture; mix well. Pour into crust. Sprinkle with nutmeg.
- Bake at 400° for 10 minutes. Reduce temperature to 325°; bake 40-45 minutes longer or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Buttermilk Lemon Pie in Country April/May 2003, p51
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Buttermilk Lemon Pie
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review