- Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Line a 9-in. pie plate with pastry. Trim, seal and flute edges; set aside. In a large bowl, combine the sugar, flour and salt.
- In a large bowl, beat the buttermilk, eggs, butter, lemon juice, lemon peel and vanilla. Add to sugar mixture; mix well. Pour into crust. Sprinkle with nutmeg.
- Bake at 400° for 10 minutes. Reduce temperature to 325°; bake 40-45 minutes longer or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Buttermilk Lemon Pie
"My husband enjoys both the taste and texture of this refreshing and creamy pie"
"I LOVE this pie!!! It has become my go-to lemon pie recipe."
"This pie was so delicious!! It was easy to make and all five of my kids loved it! We will put it on our list for Thanksgiving!"
"This is kicking it up a notch to buttermilk pie. My friends use to ask for just for the buttermilk pie all the time, when I added the lemon/zest they even want it more. It is requested even more. I love it myself too!"
"Yummy! It is rich and delicious!"