Buttermilk Fried Chicken with Gravy Recipe
We raised our own meat and vegetables when I was a girl. This golden chicken always reminds me of Mom and home...there's nothing quite like a crispy piece smothered in creamy gravy. — Vera Reid, Laramie, Wyoming
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. + chilling Cook: 1 hour YIELD:6 servings
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3-1/2 to 4 pounds), cut up
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Oil for frying
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1-1/2 to 2 cups water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1. Place chicken in a large shallow dish. Pour buttermilk over; cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- 2. Combine the flour, salt and pepper in a large resealable plastic bag. Drain chicken pieces; add to flour mixture, one at a time, and shake to coat. Shake off excess; let stand on waxed paper for 15 minutes before frying.
- 3. Heat 1/8 to 1/4 in. of oil in a large skillet; fry chicken until browned on all sides. Cover and simmer, turning occasionally, for 40-45 minutes, or until juices run clear and chicken is tender. Uncover and cook 5 minutes longer. Remove chicken; drain on paper towels and keep warm.
- 4. Drain all but 1/4 cup drippings from skillet; stir in flour until blended. Gradually add milk, then 1-1/2 cups water. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add remaining water if needed. Season with salt and pepper. Serve with chicken. Yield: 6 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC