Buttermilk Fried Chicken with Gravy Recipe
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3-1/2 to 4 pounds), cut up
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Oil for frying
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1-1/2 to 2 cups water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1. Place chicken in a large shallow dish. Pour buttermilk over; cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- 2. Combine the flour, salt and pepper in a large resealable plastic bag. Drain chicken pieces; add to flour mixture, one at a time, and shake to coat. Shake off excess; let stand on waxed paper for 15 minutes before frying.
- 3. Heat 1/8 to 1/4 in. of oil in a large skillet; fry chicken until browned on all sides. Cover and simmer, turning occasionally, for 40-45 minutes, or until juices run clear and chicken is tender. Uncover and cook 5 minutes longer. Remove chicken; drain on paper towels and keep warm.
- 4. Drain all but 1/4 cup drippings from skillet; stir in flour until blended. Gradually add milk, then 1-1/2 cups water. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Add remaining water if needed. Season with salt and pepper. Serve with chicken. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Buttermilk Fried Chicken with Gravy
"This Buttermilk Fried Checken is the best in the world Try it you will like it."
"I have been making this recipe since 1994 when I found it. I don't make the gravy but the chicken is awesome. There are never leftovers."
"I will probably make this again because I love using buttermilk; however, I think it lacked a little flavor. Next time I will try adding some cayenne pepper to the flour mix to make it more flavorful and an egg to the buttermilk to make it stick to the chicken better."
"I did like christinew said & finished it up in the oven. Great tip! thank you. It was superior. : )"
"needs more seasoning"
"great basic recipe. however, i fry chicken like my mom did. i fry until the coating is golden brown, then finish in a 375 degree oven. just as crispy and delicious, plus the extra fat cooks out-much less greasy!"
"I've made this before & it came out really good but this past time, the crust wasn't crunchy. It kind of fell off in the pan during cooking so it looked like baked chicken. Next time I'll try a bigger pan to fry in w/more room for the chicken & maybe double dip the buttermilk & flour mixture. The gravy was so amazing though & made so much. I hope it's just as good tommorow w/some mashed taters. : )"
"This was good but....add on another 1 hour and 15 mins. to this recipe. Does not include maritinate time nor the 15 mins. that it has to brown. Buy Shake and bake Buttermilk. Alot easier, just as good and quicker."
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.