It doesn't take long for a platter of these doughnuts to vanish. Our grandkids go for them in a big way! They're great for munching at breakfast or brunch.
48 ServingsPrep: 20 min. + chilling Cook: 5 min./batch
- 4 Eggland's Best Eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5-1/2 to 6 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 cups buttermilk
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- Additional sugar, cinnamon-sugar or confectioners' sugar, optional
- In a large bowl, beat eggs and sugar until light and lemon-colored.
- Add butter and vanilla; mix well. Combine the flour, baking powder,
- baking soda, salt and nutmeg; add to egg mixture alternately with
- buttermilk. Cover and refrigerate for 2-3 hours.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to 1/2-in. thickness. Cut
- with a floured 3-in. doughnut cutter.
- In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Fry
- doughnuts, a few at a time, for 1 minute on each side or until
- golden. Drain on paper towels. Roll in additional sugar if desired.