Buttermilk Cranberry Muffins Recipe
- 1 heaped cup of cranberries, coarsely chopped
- 3/4 cup sugar, divided
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 egg
- 1-1/2 cups buttermilk, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons thawed orange juice concentrate
- CRANBERRY BUTTER:
- 1 cup cranberries
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1. Chop the cranberries and combine with 1/4 cup sugar; set aside. Sift together flour, remaining sugar, baking powder, soda and salt. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- 2. Lightly beat together egg, buttermilk and orange juice concentrate. Add the liquid and sweetened cranberries to dry ingredients, stirring only until well-combined. Spoon batter into buttered muffin pans, filling two-thirds full. Bake at 375° for 25 minutes.
- 3. For cranberry butter, puree cranberries in food processor or blender. Add the sugar, butter and lemon juice; cover and process until smooth. Refrigerate until serving. Yield: 1-1/2 dozen.
Diabetic Exchanges: One serving equals 1 bread, 1 fruit, 1 fat; also, 173 calories, 209 mg sodium, 30 mg cholesterol, 27 gm carbohydrate, 3 gm protein, 6 gm fat.
Reviews for Buttermilk Cranberry Muffins
"mixed really well, easy to make, the first day had a hard time getting the wrapper of, seem to do better the longer they sit (days). found them a little dry, maybe 1/4 or 1/3 cup of plain yogurt might make them moister. i ending up adding the peel of a large orange for more of that orange flavor, not bad, don't think i'll make them again."
"Made the muffins only and wow! They are extremely tasty. I added a dollop of apricot jam in the middle and baked as directed. Would highly recommend. 1/15/2009"