Buttermilk Corn Bread Recipe
MY GRANDMOTHER would refer to this recipe as "comfort food", made from ingredients available on the farm or staples found in her pantry. She always cooked the corn bread in her "seasoned" black skillet, and it turned out slick as butter every time. -Elizabeth Cooper, Madison, Alabama
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1. Place oil in an 8-in. ovenproof skillet; tilt to coat bottom and sides. Place in a 425° oven for 10 minutes.
- 2. In a small bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda. Beat egg and buttermilk; add to dry ingredients just until moistened.
- 3. Pour into the hot skillet. Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Yield: 2-4 servings.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 228 calories, 6 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 56 mg cholesterol, 684 mg sodium, 36 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 7 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC