Buttermilk Corn Bread Recipe
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1. Place oil in an 8-in. ovenproof skillet; tilt to coat bottom and sides. Place in a 425° oven for 10 minutes.
- 2. In a small bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda. Beat egg and buttermilk; add to dry ingredients just until moistened.
- 3. Pour into the hot skillet. Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Yield: 2-4 servings.
1 slice: 228 calories, 6g fat (1g saturated fat), 56mg cholesterol, 684mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 3g fiber), 7g protein.
Reviews for Buttermilk Corn Bread
"I thought this was kind of bland I had tested the batter and thought the same thing so I added 2T of honey to add flavor and sweeten it but it did not help."
"This is the best corn bread recipe I have ever made. It is a definite keeper."