Buttermilk Corn Bread Recipe
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1. Place oil in an 8-in. ovenproof skillet; tilt to coat bottom and sides. Place in a 425° oven for 10 minutes.
- 2. In a small bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda. Beat egg and buttermilk; add to dry ingredients just until moistened.
- 3. Pour into the hot skillet. Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Yield: 2-4 servings.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 228 calories, 6 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 56 mg cholesterol, 684 mg sodium, 36 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 7 g protein.
Reviews for Buttermilk Corn Bread
"I thought this was kind of bland I had tested the batter and thought the same thing so I added 2T of honey to add flavor and sweeten it but it did not help."
"This is the best corn bread recipe I have ever made. It is a definite keeper."