- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- In a bowl, combine flour, sugars, oil and salt; mix well. Remove 1/2 cup and set aside. To remaining flour mixture, add egg, buttermilk and baking soda; mix well. Pour into a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan.
- To reserved flour mixture add all topping ingredients; mix well. Sprinkle over batter. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until cake tests done. Yield: 20-24 servings.
Reviews for Buttermilk Coffee Cake
Sort By :
Looking at the ingredients, I thought this would be super awesome. As is, for me, it's "OK". I will make it again, I'm sure, but with some "tweaking". I baked mine in a 9 x 13 glass baking dish, so it took a little longer to bake. Seems like the larger pan (a jelly roll pan?) would make for a very thin coffee cake. With that being said, I would still use the 9 x 13, but I would put only 1/2 of the batter in the pan, then add half of the topping, then the remaining batter and topping. I also might add a little cinnamon to the batter. It's a keeper, but with a few changes.
I made this for the first time today .We live in a senior park . I and another lady prepare breakfast once a month for others. Today we had 18 people and this coffee cake was a big hit. Thanks Taste of Home.
My family loves this coffee cake! Now that our children are grown, I usually bake it in 2 pans: a 13x9-inch and an 8x8-inch pan. That way my husband and I can enjoy one now and freeze the other for later (or when company drops in unexpectedly)!
This cake had a very nice taste, but it just wasn't what I was looking for in a coffee cake. Just not for me.
This coffee cake turned out great! We really enjoyed the nutmeg in the topping. It makes a large cake, so it's a great recipe for a large family or for taking to a potluck.