I received this recipe from my best friend over 10 years ago...and I still get rave reviews whenever I serve it. The zucchini makes it very moist. My husband and I plant grass seed and have a few animals on our farmette here in Lancaster County.
Featured In: 25 Light Chocolate Dessert Recipes
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 4 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 3 cups grated zucchini (about 3 medium), drained
- 1/2 to 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- In a large bowl, cream sugars, butter and oil. Add eggs, vanilla and buttermilk; mix well. Sift together dry ingredients; add to creamed mixture. Add zucchini and stir until blended. Pour into a greased and floured 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Sprinkle chocolate chips on top. Bake at 325° for 45 minutes or until cake tests done. Yield: 12-15 servings.
Originally published as Chocolate Zucchini Cake in Sweet and Scrumptious Chocolate 1994, p7
Reviews for Buttermilk Chocolate Zucchini Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Aug. 27, 2014
"Good cake. The only change I made was to use about 1 1/4 C chocolate chips, and 1 extra Tbsp of cocoa for a richer, more chocolaty flavor. And I sprinkled 1/3 C chopped walnuts on top with the chocolate chips. It was yummy."