Buttermilk Chocolate Sauce
Our family received this delicious recipe from a dear friend. The thick sauce is not too sweet and makes a delightful topping for most desserts. Serve it warm over ice cream, cake or fruit.
—Leah Ramage of Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
12 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Reduced-fat ice cream
- In a small saucepan, combine the sugar, cocoa and cornstarch. Whisk
- in milk. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly.
- Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5-7 minutes or until slightly
- Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla. Serve warm over ice cream.
- Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 3/4 cup.
Nutritional Facts: One serving (1 tablespoon sauce, calculated without ice cream) equals 62 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 1 mg cholesterol, 16 mg sodium, 15 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch.