- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2-1/3 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and baking soda; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition (batter will be thick).
- Pour into a greased and floured 10-in. fluted tube pan. Bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- For icing, in a small saucepan, combine the butter, brown sugar and cream. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat; cool for 5-10 minutes. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar until smooth. Drizzle over cake. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Reviews for Buttermilk Cake with Caramel Icing
Sort By :
"delicious! I made this cake for our monthly birthday celebration at work and it was a hit! It is a delicious moist cake."
"Easy to follow recipe and flavorful, fluffy, moist cake! Now a family favorite."
"I've been using this recipe for the past 3 years. It's always a crowd pleaser. Last year, my dear old dad had the nerve to request sifted flour. So I took the hint and reduced the flour by 2/3 cups. Instead of dense and moist, I got springy and moist. Still rave reviews. I also increase the vanilla to 2 tsps. I butter and flour the pan with no sticking. I'm taking this bad boy to the work pot luck in the morning!"
"This cake is delicious, but when I made it as directed, it stuck to the pan. Because I am serving it to company, I made it again, and the same thing happened. I used a no stick bundt pan and sprayed it with Bakers Joy. Any suggestions for next time?"
"This was amazing! My grandson loves caramel. He loved this cake and glaze. It was moist and not too sweet. I used 2 tsps vanilla."