Buttermilk Cake with Caramel Icing Recipe
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2-1/3 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and baking soda; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition (batter will be thick).
- Pour into a greased and floured 10-in. fluted tube pan. Bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- For icing, in a small saucepan, combine the butter, brown sugar and cream. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat; cool for 5-10 minutes. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar until smooth. Drizzle over cake. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Reviews for Buttermilk Cake with Caramel Icing
Sort By :
Amazing!! Cake wasn't overly sweet and the glaze added the right touch of sweetness to balance the flavors. My Family loved it and requested it again for Thanksgiving dinner!
Excellent moist cake.
Addendum to my review. The cake did stick to the pan - my fault. I should have greased and floured pan instead of using spray. The taste of the cake was good but it was very dry. I baked it for the minimum time - 45 minutes but 40 would have been plenty. It tastes like more of a coffee cake. Would have been great if there was cinnamon running through it and a streussel topping.
Love this cake! It stays moist until the last piece!
This tastes wonderful but it stuck to the pan. Going to serve it anyway.