Buttermilk Cake with Caramel Icing Recipe
Anna Jean Allen of West Liberty, Kentucky brought a fabulous cake to the Lexington contest. So moist and tender, it melts in your mouth! Anna Jean says, "It's been a favorite cake recipe of my family since the 1970s and goes over really well at church potluck meals."
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 35 min. Bake: 45 min. + cooling YIELD:12-16 servings
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2-1/3 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and baking soda; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition (batter will be thick).
- 2. Pour into a greased and floured 10-in. fluted tube pan. Bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- 3. For icing, in a small saucepan, combine the butter, brown sugar and cream. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat; cool for 5-10 minutes. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar until smooth. Drizzle over cake. Yield: 12-16 servings.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 417 calories, 17 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 86 mg cholesterol, 257 mg sodium, 62 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC