- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2-1/3 cups sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease and flour a 10-in. fluted tube pan.
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla and eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. In another bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and baking soda; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk (batter will be thick). Transfer to prepared pan.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 45-50 minutes. Cool in pan 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
- For icing, in a small saucepan, combine butter, brown sugar and cream; bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; cool 5-10 minutes. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar; spoon over cake. Yield: 16 servings.
Reviews forButtermilk Cake with Caramel Icing
"Sugar lumped in icing. Any suggestions? Delicious recipe. I used whole wheat pastry flour which provided real caramelly cake."
"I'm not sure if it was the modification I made to the baking time (I had a dark pan and had to reduce the baking temp and bake it longer), but my cake was not as moist as I was hoping for and ended up with a very hard shell around it. I have to say the batter was yummy! I did like the icing; it had a nice maple flavor. I may buy an aluminum pan and try again; it just wasn't the crowd pleaser I thought it would be."
"I've been using this recipe for the past 3 years. It's always a crowd pleaser. Last year, my dear old dad had the nerve to request sifted flour. So I took the hint and reduced the flour by 2/3 cups. Instead of dense and moist, I got springy and moist. Still rave reviews. I also increase the vanilla to 2 tsps. I butter and flour the pan with no sticking. I'm taking this bad boy to the work pot luck in the morning!"
"This cake is delicious, but when I made it as directed, it stuck to the pan. Because I am serving it to company, I made it again, and the same thing happened. I used a no stick bundt pan and sprayed it with Bakers Joy. Any suggestions for next time?"
"This was amazing! My grandson loves caramel. He loved this cake and glaze. It was moist and not too sweet. I used 2 tsps vanilla."
"Excellent moist cake."
"Addendum to my review. The cake did stick to the pan - my fault. I should have greased and floured pan instead of using spray. The taste of the cake was good but it was very dry. I baked it for the minimum time - 45 minutes but 40 would have been plenty. It tastes like more of a coffee cake. Would have been great if there was cinnamon running through it and a streussel topping."