"This bread reminds me of sourdough without the trouble of having to prepare and replenish the starter," says Nita Anderson of Florence, Alabama. "Buttermilk gives a light tartness to the chewy loaf. It's a great all-purpose bread."
16 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Bake: 3 hours
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons water (70° to 80°)
- 1/2 cup warm buttermilk (70° to 80°)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups bread flour
- 2-1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- In bread machine pan, place all ingredients in order suggested by
- manufacturer. Select basil bread setting. Choose crust color and
- loaf size if available. Bake according to bread machine directions
- (check dough after 5 minutes of mixing; add 1 to 2 tablespoons of
- water or flour if needed). Yield: 1 loaf (1-1/2 pounds, 16 slices).
Nutritional Facts: One slice equals 99 calories, 1 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 4 mg cholesterol, 166 mg sodium, 19 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch.