Buttermilk Bread Recipe
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons water (70° to 80°)
- 1/2 cup warm buttermilk (70° to 80°)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups bread flour
- 2-1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1. In bread machine pan, place all ingredients in order suggested by manufacturer. Select basil bread setting. Choose crust color and loaf size if available. Bake according to bread machine directions (check dough after 5 minutes of mixing; add 1 to 2 tablespoons of water or flour if needed). Yield: 1 loaf (1-1/2 pounds, 16 slices).
1 slice: 99 calories, 1g fat (1g saturated fat), 4mg cholesterol, 166mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch.
Reviews for Buttermilk Bread
"I brush the top crust with butter then wrap the loaf in foil to keep it warm until meal time. I always seem to have a little bit of buttermilk leftover from other recipes and this was great to use that up. I'd definitely make this one again, maybe even just using the dough setting and then forming it and baking it in the oven."
"How long would I knead this dough and at what temperature and how long would it bake? Sound like a good one to me. grammaberr"
"In the directions for Buttermilk bread, do you think you meant to type "Select basic bread setting" instead of basil bread setting? Might be a novice out there that can't make the recipe because they don't have this unusual setting."