"This bread reminds me of sourdough without the trouble of having to prepare and replenish the starter," says Nita Anderson of Florence, Alabama. "Buttermilk gives a light tartness to the chewy loaf. It's a great all-purpose bread."
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons water (70° to 80°)
- 1/2 cup warm buttermilk (70° to 80°)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups bread flour
- 2-1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- In bread machine pan, place all ingredients in order suggested by manufacturer. Select basil bread setting. Choose crust color and loaf size if available. Bake according to bread machine directions (check dough after 5 minutes of mixing; add 1 to 2 tablespoons of water or flour if needed). Yield: 1 loaf (1-1/2 pounds, 16 slices).
Originally published as Buttermilk Bread in Quick Cooking May/June 2003, p21
Reviews for Buttermilk Bread
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review