"THESE BISCUITS are made from a recipe that's been in our family for years. They're simple to make and smell so good when baking! The wonderful aroma takes me back to those days when Mom made this meal—it's like I'm there in our family's kitchen again, with her busy at the stove."
18-20 ServingsPrep: 25 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup cold shortening
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and
- baking soda. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse
- crumbs. Add buttermilk; stir just until the dough clings together.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead gently, about 10-12 times.
- Roll to 1/2-in. thickness; cut with a floured 2-in. round biscuit
- cutter. Place 1 in. apart on a greased baking sheet. Bake at
- 450° for 11-12 minutes or until lightly browned. Serve warm.
- Yield: about 1-1/2 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 74 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), trace cholesterol, 120 mg sodium, 11 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 2 g protein.