As part of my job, I got to help concept a bunch of food trucks, and Biscuit Box was our first. We spent months coming up with recipes. This is an Easter play on our chicken and tarragon potpie. —Michelle Clair, Seattle, Washington
Recommended: The 99 Most American Recipes Ever
- 3 celery ribs, diced
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 1/2 fennel bulb, diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 carton (32 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- BUTTERMILK BISCUITS:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2/3 cup unsalted butter, cubed
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 425°. Toss celery, onions, carrots and fennel in oil to coat. Spread in a single layer over a 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Roast, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned, 20-25 minutes. Cool. Reduce heat to 350°.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth. Gradually whisk in broth; add thyme. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes. Add roasted vegetables, ham, tarragon, salt and pepper, cooking until heated through. Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish.
- For biscuits, pulse flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda in a food processor until blended. Add cubed butter; pulse until butter is the size of peas. Transfer to a large bowl; stir in buttermilk until no flour is visible. Turn onto a floured surface; knead gently 8-10 times. Roll dough into a 13x9-in. rectangle; cut into shapes of your choice.
- Arrange biscuit pieces, overlapping slightly, over ham mixture. Bake until biscuit topping is golden brown, 25-30 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Buttermilk Biscuit Ham Potpie in Taste of Home April/May 2017
Reviews for Buttermilk Biscuit Ham Potpie
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review