- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 5-1/4 to 5-1/2 cups self-rising flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup shortening
- 1-3/4 cups buttermilk
- In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. In a large bowl, whisk 5-1/4 cups flour, sugar and baking soda. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in buttermilk and yeast mixture to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky).
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead gently 8-10 times, adding additional flour if needed. Roll dough to 3/4-in. thickness; cut with a floured 2-1/2-in. biscuit cutter. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Let stand at room temperature 20 minutes. Preheat oven to 450°.
- Bake 8-12 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm. Yield: 2 dozen.
Reviews for Buttermilk Angel Biscuits
Sort By :
Excellent taste and texture. Very light and stay together when sliced, spreading butter and Jam. I made the full recipe exactly to the directions to test it but next time will only make half as it makes a full 2 dozen. I used butter flavored Crisco which gave them a light buttery flavor too. I found the dough easy to work with even though it was sticky (as noted), it was easy to knead and cut.
These were good, but not sure if the addition of yeast made them any better than my regular buttermilk biscuits.
I saw these in the April/May 2014 magazine and couldn't wait to make them. I made these this morning and they turned out very light but not flaky. They go very good with apple butter. And if you have any left they freeze well.
At first I was not sure about this recipe since it included active dry yeast, however, I was pleasantly surprised. These are not hearty biscuits, they are very tender, but very good. We ate them with grilled chicken, green beans and crock pot potatoes. I had one for dessert and put peach preserves on them. Very good!! I made them exactly as the recipe stated. Thanks for a different biscuit!!
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Biscuit Recipes >
- Bread Baking >
- Bread Recipes >
- Christmas Recipes >
- Comfort Food Bread Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Comfort Food Vegetarian Recipes >
- Easter Recipes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Mother's Day Recipes >
- Potluck Recipes >
- Potluck Vegetarian Recipes >
- Quick Bread Recipes >
- Scone Recipes >
- Scones >
- Subscriber-Exclusive Baking Recipes >
- Subscriber-Exclusive Bread Recipes >
- Subscriber-Exclusive Breakfast Recipes >
- Subscriber-Exclusive Comfort Food Recipes >
- Subscriber-Exclusive Low Fat Recipes >
- Subscriber-Exclusive Potluck Recipes >
- Subscriber-Exclusive Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Subscriber-Exclusive Vegetarian Recipes >
- Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Taste of Home Magazine Vegetarian Recipes >
- Vegetarian Bread Recipes >
- Vegetarian Recipes >
- Yeast Bread Recipes >