Butterfly-Shaped Chicken Sandwiches Recipe
"I never have any trouble getting my grandchildren to eat lunch when these cute sandwiches are on their plates," reports Maggie Lanksbury of Seattle, Washington. "You can use chives or little pieces of celery for the antennae," she suggests.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. Cook: 15 min. + cooling YIELD:9 servings
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup shredded carrot
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 envelope (1 ounce) ranch salad dressing mix
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 18 slices white bread
- 18 fresh baby carrots
- 36 fresh chive pieces (about 1-1/2 inch long)
- 36 carrot strips (about 1-1/2 inches long)
- Sliced pimiento-stuffed olives
- 1. Place chicken in a large skillet; add enough water to cover. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 12-14 minutes or until chicken is tender and juices run clear. Drain and cool.
- 2. Shred chicken; place in a bowl. Add onions, carrot and cheese. combine the salad dressing mix and mayonnaise; add to the chicken mixture. Spread over half of the bread slices; top with remaining bread. Diagonally cut each sandwich in half, creating four triangles.
- 3. To form wings, arrange two triangles with points toward each other and crust facing out. For each butterfly body, place one baby carrot between triangles; insert two chives into filling for antennae. Place one carrot strip in the center of each triangle. Place olive slices on wings. Yield: 9 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 360 calories, 19 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 38 mg cholesterol, 1,060 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 15 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC