Buttered Orange Cider
On a cool autumn day, this warm spiced beverage from Edna Hoffman of Hebron, Indiana offers comforting flavor. Plus, it simmers in a jiffy. Have some leftover cider? “Use it instead of water when making lemon or orange gelatin,” Edna recommends.
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 6 cups apple cider or juice
- 1/2 medium unpeeled navel orange, sliced
- 8 whole allspice
- 8 whole cloves
- 2 cinnamon sticks (3 inches)
- 1 orange peel strip (3 inches)
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a large saucepan, combine the cider and orange slices. Place the
- allspice, cloves, cinnamon sticks and orange peel on a double
- thickness of cheesecloth; bring up corners of cloth and tie with
- kitchen string to form a bag. Add to pan. Bring to a boil over
- medium heat. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, butter and cinnamon.
- Discard spice bag. Ladle cider into mugs; dot with butter mixture.
- Yield: 6 servings.