Buttered Orange Cider Recipe
On a cool autumn day, this warm spiced beverage from Edna Hoffman of Hebron, Indiana offers comforting flavor. Plus, it simmers in a jiffy. Have some leftover cider? “Use it instead of water when making lemon or orange gelatin,” Edna recommends.
- 6 cups apple cider or juice
- 1/2 medium unpeeled navel orange, sliced
- 8 whole allspice
- 8 whole cloves
- 2 cinnamon sticks (3 inches)
- 1 orange peel strip (3 inches)
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a large saucepan, combine the cider and orange slices. Place the allspice, cloves, cinnamon sticks and orange peel on a double thickness of cheesecloth; bring up corners of cloth and tie with kitchen string to form a bag. Add to pan. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, butter and cinnamon. Discard spice bag. Ladle cider into mugs; dot with butter mixture. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Buttered Orange Cider in Quick Cooking September/October 2005, p14
Reviews for Buttered Orange Cider(1)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Oct. 12, 2009
This is great for a fall gathering. All my guests loved the flavor.