- 3 packages (1/4 ounce each) Red Star® Platinum Superior Baking Yeast™
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2-1/2 cups mashed cooked buttercup or butternut squash
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 2/3 cup butter, softened
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 13 cups all-purpose flour
- In a very large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add sugar; let stand for 5 minutes. Add the squash, milk, brown sugar, butter, eggs and salt and about 6 cups flour. Beat on medium speed for 3 minutes. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/4 hours.
- Punch dough down. Divide into three portions; shape into loaves. Place in three greased 9x5-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely. Yield: 3 loaves (16 slices each).
Reviews for Buttercup Yeast Bread
Sort By :
"I made this bread last night and it turned out real well,raised really high and tastes wonderful. Ithought i had butternut squash but i didn't. So i used sweet potato and it all turned out really well. Iwill make this often. Thank you for this recipe. This will be on the holiday table for sure!"
"I've made this recipe twice now, with butternut squash, and everyone seems to like it...even people who don't like squash. It makes a very moist mild tasting bread. I made 3 loaves and a 9 x 9 in. pan of 9 dinner rolls out of one recipe. Enough for us and some to share with friends."
"Absolutely delicious. I only used about 12 cups of flour and it makes 4 loaves of bread. It will be added to my list of favorites!"
"I am so glad to have found this recipe. I had it on a clip and keep card from the Oct/Nov 2006 Taste of Home magazine, but I'd somehow missplaced it. This bread is so delicious. I've even used pumpkin in place of the buttercup squash. My family loves it."
"I first made this for a company Christmas party and everyone raved about it! Absolutely excellent! (I used frozen squash.)"