- 1 package white cake mix (regular size)
- 1 tube (16-1/2 ounces) refrigerated sugar cookie dough, softened
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 12 lollipop sticks
- 1-1/4 cups shortening
- 1/3 cup plus 4 teaspoons water
- 1-1/4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 5 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon plus 3/4 teaspoon meringue powder
- Red and blue colored sugar
- Coarse sugar
- Red and blue paste food coloring
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- Prepare and bake cake according to package directions, using two greased 9-in. round baking pans. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a large bowl, combine cookie dough and flour. On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut out 12 cookies with a floured 2-in. star cookie cutter; insert lollipop sticks into dough. Cut out eight cookies with a floured 1-in. star cookie cutter.
- Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 7-9 minutes or until edges are light golden brown. Cool on wire racks.
- For buttercream, using a heavy-duty stand mixer, combine the shortening, water and vanilla. Combine confectioners' sugar and meringue powder; beat into shortening mixture.
- Spread 2 cups buttercream between layers and over top and sides of cake. Sprinkle the top with colored sugar. Frost cookie pops; sprinkle with red, blue and clear sugars.
- Tint 1/3 cup frosting red and 1/3 cup blue; leave remaining frosting white. Using a #18 star tip and white frosting, pipe a border around bottom of cake. Using a #4 round tip with blue frosting and an additional #18 star tip with red frosting, pipe four flags on sides of cake.
- In a microwave, heat corn syrup for 10 seconds or just until bubbly. Brush over one side of small star cookies; sprinkle with red and blue sugars. Press onto sides of cake. Press cookie pops into top of cake. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for Buttercream Blast Layer Cake
Sort By :
"Cute cake. I did use the wilton recipe for buttercream. It called for butter extract. Maybe that is where it gets the name from."
"I'd bet whoever came up with this recipe is Awesome!"
"Cute cake design. I use a buttercream recipe from Wiltons and it is much better than this one. Love the design, so will keep the photo of the cake for future design ideas. Thanks"
"I made this frosting and thought it was okay. I made mine chocolate by adding 3 TBSP of cocoa and as with most everything sweet, added 1/2 tsp salt. It takes away the flat sweetness of icings can result from using powdered sugar. This frosting only seemed sweeter than traditional frostings, probably because it has less density. This is the way old fashioned icings were made. Always with shortening, never with butter. It was light and fluffy. Saturated fats aren't unhealthy so I am not afraid to use shortening, butter, etc. I"
"not a good Butercream recipe decorations are cute cake it's self good."