Butter Pecan Ice Cream Recipe
- TOASTED NUTS:
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- ICE CREAM:
- 2-1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/3 cup maple-flavored pancake syrup
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. On a baking sheet, combine butter, pecans, salt and 1 tablespoon sugar and spread into a single layer. Roast 15 minutes. Stir and roast 15 minutes longer. Cool.
- 2. For ice cream, in a large saucepan, heat milk to 175°. Combine sugars and cornstarch; gradually stir into milk. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat to low; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from heat.
- 3. In a small bowl, whisk a small amount of hot mixture into eggs; return all to pan, whisking constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes. Remove from heat immediately.
- 4. Quickly transfer to a large bowl; place bowl in a pan of ice water. Stir gently and occasionally for 2 minutes. Stir in cream, syrup and vanilla. Press plastic wrap onto surface of custard. Refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
- 5. Stir nuts into custard. Fill ice cream freezer two-thirds full; freeze according to the manufacturer’s directions. (Refrigerate any remaining mixture until ready to freeze.) Transfer ice cream to freezer containers, allowing headspace for expansion. Freeze 2-4 hours or until firm. Repeat with any remaining ice cream mixture. Yield: about 2 quarts.
1/2 cup: 204 calories, 14g fat (6g saturated fat), 58mg cholesterol, 80mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (16g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein
Reviews for Butter Pecan Ice Cream
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.