I like to make this very rich ice cream at home, then take it to parties or dinners. It's so convenient. If I pour it in the freezer right before we leave, It's done when we arrive—and it "ripens" by the time that it's served!
Recommended: Our Favorite Ice Cream Recipes
- TOASTED NUTS:
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- ICE CREAM:
- 2-1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/3 cup maple-flavored pancake syrup
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°. On a baking sheet, combine butter, pecans, salt and 1 tablespoon sugar and spread into a single layer. Roast 15 minutes. Stir and roast 15 minutes longer. Cool.
- For ice cream, in a large saucepan, heat milk to 175°. Combine sugars and cornstarch; gradually stir into milk. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat to low; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from heat.
- In a small bowl, whisk a small amount of hot mixture into eggs; return all to pan, whisking constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes. Remove from heat immediately.
- Quickly transfer to a large bowl; place bowl in a pan of ice water. Stir gently and occasionally for 2 minutes. Stir in cream, syrup and vanilla. Press plastic wrap onto surface of custard. Refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
- Stir nuts into custard. Fill ice cream freezer two-thirds full; freeze according to the manufacturer’s directions. (Refrigerate any remaining mixture until ready to freeze.) Transfer ice cream to freezer containers, allowing headspace for expansion. Freeze 2-4 hours or until firm. Repeat with any remaining ice cream mixture. Yield: about 2 quarts.
Originally published as Butter Pecan Ice Cream in Country Woman May/June 1991, p29
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Butter Pecan Ice Cream
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review