Butter Pecan Ice Cream Recipe
I like to make this very rich ice cream at home, then take it to parties or dinners. It's so convenient. If I pour it in the freezer right before we leave, It's done when we arriveand it "ripens" by the time that it's served!
- TOASTED NUTS:
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- ICE CREAM:
- 2-1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 Eggland's Best Eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/3 cup maple-flavored pancake syrup
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- On a baking sheet, combine the butter, pecans, salt and 1 tablespoon sugar and spread into a single layer. Roast at 350° for 15 minutes. Stir and roast 15 minutes longer. Cool.
- For ice cream, in a large saucepan, heat the milk to 175°. Combine sugars and cornstarch; gradually stir into milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Whisk a small amount of the hot mixture into the eggs. Return all to the pan, whisking constantly. Cook and stir over low heat until mixture reaches at least 160° and coats the back of a metal spoon. Remove from the heat.
- Cool quickly by placing pan in a bowl of ice water; stir for 2 minutes. Stir in the cream , syrup and vanilla. Press waxed paper onto surface of custard. Refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
- Stir in the nuts. Place in ice cream freezer and freeze according to manufacturer's directions. Allow to ripen in ice cream freezer or firm up in your refrigerator freezer an hour before serving. Yield: about 2 quarts.
Originally published as Butter Pecan Ice Cream in Country Woman May/June 1991, p29
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Butter Pecan Ice Cream(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- Comfort Food Desserts >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Country Woman Desserts >
- Country Woman Recipes >
- Desserts >
- Egg Desserts >
- Egg Recipes >
- Father's Day Recipes >
- Grand Prize Winning Recipes >
- Homemade Ice Cream >
- Ice Cream Recipes >
- Nut Recipes >