Butter Pecan Cookies Recipe
When my daughter was a teen, these cookies earned her two blue ribbons from two county fairs. Then a few years ago, her own daughter took home a blue ribbon for the same cookie. Needless to say, these mouthwatering morsels are real winners!—Martha Thefield, Cedartown, Georgia
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 25 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch YIELD:24 servings
- 1-3/4 cups chopped pecans
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 cup butter, softened, divided
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg, separated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups self-rising flour
- 1 cup pecan halves
- 1. Place chopped pecans and 1 tablespoon butter in a baking pan. Bake at 325° for 5-7 minutes or until toasted and browned, stirring frequently. Set aside to cool.
- 2. In a large bowl, cream brown sugar and remaining butter until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolk and vanilla. Gradually add flour and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- 3. Roll into 1-in. balls, then roll in toasted pecans, pressing nuts into dough. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Beat egg white until foamy. Dip pecan halves in egg white, then gently press one into each ball.
- 4. Bake at 375° for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 2 minutes before removing to wire racks. Yield: about 4 dozen.
2 cookies equals 233 calories, 18 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 31 mg cholesterol, 208 mg sodium, 18 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC