Butter Nut Twists Recipe
My mother has been using this recipe for the last 45 years for special occasions and the holidays. She taught my sister and me how to make the twists so we can carry on the tradition for our families. —Joyce Hallisey, Mt. Gilead, North Carolina
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. + chilling Bake: 15 min. YIELD:72 servings
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cold butter, cubed
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups ground walnuts (8 ounces)
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 4-1/2 teaspoons butter, melted
- 1. In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. In a large bowl, mix flour, sugar and salt. Cut in butter until crumbly. Add buttermilk, eggs and yeast mixture; stir to form a soft dough. Cover with plastic wrap; refrigerate overnight.
- 2. Preheat oven to 350°. In another bowl, mix filling ingredients. Punch down dough; divide into three portions. On a sugared surface, roll one portion into a 12x9-in. rectangle. Sprinkle 1/3 cup filling lengthwise down one half of the dough. Fold dough in half over filling, forming a 12x4-1/2-in. rectangle; pat down to press filling into dough. Seal edges.
- 3. Sprinkle an additional 1/3 cup filling down one half of the folded dough. Fold in half again, forming a 12x2-1/4-in. rectangle. Press to form a 12x4-in. rectangle. Cut into twenty-four 1/2-in. slices. Repeat with remaining dough and additional filling. Twist each slice one time and roll in remaining filling; place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets.
- 4. Bake 15-18 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks; serve warm or at room temperature. Yield: 6 dozen.
1 roll equals 105 calories, 7 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 16 mg cholesterol, 63 mg sodium, 10 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC