Butter Nut Twists Recipe
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cold butter, cubed
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups ground walnuts (8 ounces)
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 4-1/2 teaspoons butter, melted
- In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. In a large bowl, mix the flour, sugar and salt. Cut in butter until crumbly. Add the buttermilk, eggs and yeast mixture; stir to form a soft dough. Cover with plastic wrap; refrigerate overnight.
- In another bowl, mix the filling ingredients. Punch down dough; divide into three portions. On a sugared surface, roll one portion into a 12-in. x 9-in. rectangle. Sprinkle 1/3 cup filling lengthwise down one half of the dough. Fold dough in half over filling, forming a 12-in. x 4-1/2 -in. rectangle; pat down to press filling into dough. Seal edges.
- Sprinkle an additional 1/3 cup filling down one half of the folded dough. Fold in half again, forming a 12-in. x 2-1/4-in. rectangle. Press to form a 12-in. x 4-in. rectangle. Cut into twenty-four 1/2-in. slices. Repeat with remaining dough and additional filling. Twist each slice one time and roll in remaining filling; place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets.
- Bake at 350° for 15-18 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks; serve warm or at room temperature. Yield: 6 dozen.
Reviews for Butter Nut Twists(3)
Sort By :
These are wonderful! They are understated - first bite was good, and the next bite was better and so on! They can (and did) quickly become addictive!
Stephannie1116 - The taste of coconut is very subtle, very hard to define that it's coconut you're tasting, but we liked it. You could always leave out the coconut, but they're not very sweet as they are and without the coconut, there would be even less sweet taste.
Very very good! I sprinkled cinnamon/sugar on a few of them - good either way. They didn't last very long - everyone who had them loved them.
what if you don't like coconut? then what?