Beech Grove, Indiana field editor Sue Call suggests, "Add variety to this recipe by substituting lemon flavoring for the vanilla plus a teaspoon of lemon peel."
24 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 15 min./batch + cooling
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Additional sugar
- In a bowl, cream butter, oil and sugars. Add egg and vanilla. Combine
- flour, baking soda and cream of tartar; gradually add to the creamed
- mixture. Chill for several hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls 2 in. apart
- onto ungreased baking sheets. Flatten with a fork dipped in flour;
- sprinkle with sugar. Bake 13-15 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Cool on wire racks. Yield: about 4 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (2 each) equals 146 calories, 9 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 19 mg cholesterol, 68 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 2 g protein.