- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Additional sugar
- In a bowl, cream butter, oil and sugars. Add egg and vanilla. Combine flour, baking soda and cream of tartar; gradually add to the creamed mixture. Chill for several hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls 2 in. apart onto ungreased baking sheets. Flatten with a fork dipped in flour; sprinkle with sugar. Bake 13-15 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on wire racks. Yield: about 4 dozen.
Reviews for Butter Meltaways
"These cookies are so divine! I absolutely loved them and made them twice in a weeks' time. I have tried them by using the original recipe and also by adding the lemon extract and peel and both versions were excellent."
"The name may be a little confusing. It's mainly a good butter cookie, but kind of a butter/sugar cookie combo which is very cool! Like that they're not as sugar-coated!"
"Beyond yummy! I added 2 tablespoons of peanut butter (more or less, whatever you want) and bam! You've got peanut butter cookies :D"
"I truly love a sugar cookie that is crisp and melts in your mouth! This is a result of using confectioner sugar in the recipe. Excellent cookie Gail Borczyk, Field Editr"
"These metlaways really do melt in your mouth. They taste much like a shortbread. Very nice cookie."