- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Additional sugar
- In a bowl, cream butter, oil and sugars. Add egg and vanilla. Combine flour, baking soda and cream of tartar; gradually add to the creamed mixture. Chill for several hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls 2 in. apart onto ungreased baking sheets. Flatten with a fork dipped in flour; sprinkle with sugar. Bake 13-15 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on wire racks. Yield: about 4 dozen.
Reviews for Butter Meltaways
"These cookies are so divine! I absolutely loved them and made them twice in a weeks' time. I have tried them by using the original recipe and also by adding the lemon extract and peel and both versions were excellent."
"Beyond yummy! I added 2 tablespoons of peanut butter (more or less, whatever you want) and bam! You've got peanut butter cookies :D"
"These metlaways really do melt in your mouth. They taste much like a shortbread. Very nice cookie."
"A fantastic, simple recipe - yielding 48 cookies/24 servings. The basic flavor is easy to do - switching the xtracts and using grated lemon peel. Etc.!"
"I have been making these cookies for years, and everyone loves them."
"These cookies are execellent, my friends and co-workers love them. I make them all the time."
"I have been making these for years. They are always a big hit."
"As I stated these are a wonderful cookie i do let them set a day or two they get better tasting with time, also i think i will try some lemon and the zest this as i'm now living in FL , Happy baking everyone !by the way can anyone help me find a recipe called pistachio sticks, it's a short bread cookie that is dipped in chocolate on the ends and then in the nuts it came out awhile ago on the sister magazine Family Circle now is lost, which is also a great cookie.i have looked and can not find. please help thanks again "