I like these bread sticks because I can whip them up in a hurry if company drops in unexpectedly (which happens often since my husband is a minister!). Most folks are amazed that a recipe this easy can taste so good!
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 to 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup milk
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- Sesame seeds, garlic, onion or celery salt
- In large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and cheese; add milk. Stir slowly with fork. When dough clings together, turn onto well-floured surface. On a floured surface, knead gently 10 times. Roll dough into 12-in. x 8-in. rectangle.
- Cut dough in half lengthwise with sharp knife, then into 16 strips. Place butter in a 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Dip both sides of strips in melted butter. Place two rows in pan. Sprinkle with topping of your choice. Bake at 450° for 12-15 minutes. Serve immediately. Yield: 32 breadsticks.
Originally published as Butter Dips in Country Woman November/December 1987, p29
Reviews for Butter Dips
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review