Butter-Crust Apple Pie Recipe
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 cups cold butter
- 6 to 8 tablespoons cold water
- 12 cups thinly sliced peeled tart apples
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons molasses
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 egg white
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1. In a large bowl, combine flour and sugar; cut in butter until crumbly. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball. Divide dough in fourths so that two portions are slightly larger than the other two; wrap each in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine the apples, sugar, brown sugar, molasses, flour and spices.
- 3. Roll out one larger portion of dough to fit a 9-in. pie plate. Transfer pastry to pie plate. Trim pastry even with edge. Spoon half of filling into crust. Repeat with remaining large portion of dough and filling.
- 4. Roll out remaining pastry to fit tops of pies. Place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edges. Cut slits in pastry. Beat egg white and water; brush over pastry.
- 5. Bake at 375° for 55-65 or until crust is golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 2 pies (8 servings each).
1 piece: 408 calories, 18g fat (11g saturated fat), 45mg cholesterol, 129mg sodium, 61g carbohydrate (32g sugars, 3g fiber), 4g protein
Reviews for Butter-Crust Apple Pie
"Love the crust! I use it for all of my fruit and dessert pies. So easy to put together and it's delicious!"